Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Important Question #3: Who is that Funny Ass Dude?

Hannibal Buress graced the Royal Oak with his presence last night at a free comedy show. Originally from Chicago, Buress has been living in Williamsburg since October. The soon-to-be SNL writer was a humble crowd warmer for a terrible main act, and hands down stole the show with a 15 minute set of pure comic genius.

After the show I caught up with Buress and asked him (among other things) to tell me an elaborate poop joke, which he’s rumored to be working on. The 26-year old comedian laughed when I asked.

"I was just goofing off, but then some news papers picked that up and actually put that as a quote... I have to watch what I put on twitter."

Bummer. I don’t know what it says about me, but I think the “elaborate poop joke” concept had brilliant possibilities.

While you won’t find any jokes about poop, expect to hear plenty of Buress’ perfectly dry delivery and out-of-the-box musings about anything from hiking and dog training to suits and apple juice, which, he says, can momentarily eliminate racism.

"I love apple juice in all forms and prices, lots of brands, paper cups, plastic cups, glasses, flasks. I carry a flask of apple juice."

If you’re a fan of laughing and get a chance, be sure to go see Buress live. I don't want to give it all away, but here are some (frustratingly sideways) highlights from the show:



Also, hats off to the other stand-ups who came to warm the crowd, David Cope and Marly Halpern-Graser. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t have even stayed to see Buress go on.

One more thing, overheard at the bar:
"The cop was like, 'Do you guys have any drugs, alcohol or weapons?' and we were like, 'Shit. We have all of those things.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment